Here are some reasons to invest in reducing existential risk that you might not have considered before:
- Stories where the world is saved excitingly depend necessarily on the real world being saved less excitingly.
- To make the world a better place, you must first make the world a place.
- Think of it as extreme survivalism: everyone lives.
- Even if you believe Armageddon is coming, wouldn’t it be embarrassing if we went extinct before that happened?
- Reducing existential risk just means saving the whales with extremely broad safety margins around the definition of “whale”.
- If we go extinct, all possible terrorists win.